Carbon footprint: “Total amount of greenhouse gases produced to, directly and indirectly, support human activities, usually expressed in equivalent tons of carbon dioxide” according to Time For Change.
If you would like to calculate your carbon footprint, you can do so here!
Ways To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
1. Eat less meat and dairy. Meat uses up a lot of water. It takes 5,000 gallons of water to get a single pound of beef. If you want another option, eat chicken instead.
2. Reduce the single-use items. So don’t use disposable cups, plates, etc. Use reusable cups to get your coffee or bring water in. You’ll be using less bottled water too.
3. Turn off your phone. Take your phone charger out of your wall when you’re not using it.
4. Plant perennial trees and plants. Hydrangea, butterfly bush, and hibiscus are just a few examples.
5. Reduce your waste. Try to recycle as much as you can. Only buy what you need when going grocery shopping so you're not throwing away as much food. Maybe even start composting!
6. Travel slow- Take a bus, train, or even carpool. Carpool to events with your friends and make it a fun trip! If you have any bike racks on your car, take those off when not in use.
7. Turn off your lights. Turn off your pool heater when not in use. Turn off your computer monitor at home and in your office when you’re leaving.
8. Get solar panels- Put these on your roof to reduce the use of electricity.
9. Avoid fast fashion- Purchase clothes that will last a lifetime and that you know you’ll use often. Cheap clothing uses up a lot of energy when being made. Recycle your fashion! Use apps such as Poshmark, Mercari, eBay, and Depop.
10. Use less water- Put in a full load of laundry, shut off your faucet when brushing your teeth. Take showers instead of baths.